Posting Date: November 16, 2016
Posted by: Mike Barulic, West Palm Beach Office Manager
Did you know that you inhale about 15,000 quarts of indoor air every day, and that the average air inside a house is four to five times more polluted than outdoor air?
The good news is you can significantly improve air quality in your home simply by making smarter choices. Here are 6 easy ways to improve air quality in your home:
- Use healthier cleaning products – or make your own. Avoid using cleaners that contain harsh solvents or strong fragrances – they’re loaded with toxins. Try making your own cleaners – with simple vinegar and baking soda, you can disinfect counters, clean sinks, and more.
- Choose healthier building materials – Choose mold resistant (fiberglass covered) drywall or gypsum board and low-VOC paint (VOCs – or volatile organic compounds –can cause eye and respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment).
- Take advantage of plant power – Adding plants to your living space helps remove toxic chemicals and vapors from your indoor air. They look great, too!
- Ventilate hobby rooms – Paint stripping, soldering, gluing, painting, and other activities pollute your indoor air, so make sure your hobby room is vented – or better yet, outdoors.
- Service your HVAC systems regularly – One of the best ways to keep your air healthy is to service your HVAC system regularly. An even better way? Sign up for a high value Broward Factory Service Plan.
- Consider installing a whole-house UV light filter – If budget allows, an ultraviolet (UV) germicidal light filter system will kill most airborne bacteria and virtually all airborne mold spores. Investing in one is a great way to keep your home air clean and healthy.
Need service for your HVAC system, or help improving your indoor air quality? Contact Broward today!