Posting Date: February 1, 2018
Posted by: Rusty Herd, Austin, TX Branch Manager
When it comes time to invest in a new heating system for your home, you may wonder what type of equipment would be the best choice: both heat pumps and gas furnaces can work effectively, but each system has its pros and cons.
Here are a few things to consider with each type of system:
Heat Pump Advantages
Heat Pump systems are powered by electricity and are great for homes in moderate climates. Their advantages include:
- Efficiency – When installed and operating correctly, an electric heat pump is typically more energy efficient than a gas furnace.
- Installation cost – Installing a heat pump system usually costs less installing a furnace, which requires a ventilation system.
- Operating cost – In most locations, electricity rates are lower than the cost of gas, which means a heat pump will cost less to operate.
- Quiet operation – Heat pumps offer nearly silent operation.
- Safety – There is no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or a gas leak with a heat pump.
- Air quality – Since It burns no fuel, indoor air quality is better when using an electric heat pump than it is with a gas furnace.
Gas Furnace Advantages
Gas fired furnaces have been warming homes for decades. Their advantages include:
- Effectiveness – Gas pumps are highly efficient and provide much warmer air than a heat pump, which draws heat from the environment. Heat pumps become less effective as temperatures drop below freezing.
- Lifespan – A gas fired furnace usually lasts longer than a heat pump.
- Less maintenance – A gas furnace is only used for a few months each year, which means it will need less maintenance.
- Dependability – A gas fired furnace is mechanically simpler than a heat pump, which means fewer things can go wrong with it.
- Size – A gas furnace has no outdoor component, unlike a heat pump.
At Broward, we sell, install, and maintain all types of heat pumps and gas furnaces – including one that’s just right for your home and budget. Our expert technicians will install your heating system quickly and do it the right way the first time, with no need for repeat visits.
Need help choosing a heating system upgrade for your home? Broward can help. Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate!